Thursday, December 08, 2005

The name is Christmas

I've been listening a lot lately over the Christmas vs. Happy Holidays/Seasons Greetings debate going on in the media in general. I think the whole thing is really dumb. The holiday is Christmas. Not the winter holiday. Not the special time at the end of the year. Not the anything else you want to call it besides Christmas. The name is Christmas. Period.

I've heard people say, "we want to be sensitive to people of other religions/no religion at all." Well, I'm not offended that Jewish people want to call their Holiday Hanukkah. I'm also not offended that Muslims want to call their holiday Ramadan. Go ahead, call your particular holiday you want to celebrate whatever you want to call it. That's fine with me, but don't change the name of mine. Remember that whole freedom of religion thing? I'll call my holiday what I want to call, and you call your holiday what you want to call it, and let's just all get along.

As much as people don't want to admit it, Christianity as we know it is under attack in our country. Maybe not in outright explicit attacks but under attack nonetheless. We are told we have to be more "tolerant", which is actually code for accepting everything under the sun and not saying anything about it for fear of being labeled a hater. And yes, I have actually read and heard of someone labeling a preacher a hater. I believe I read it in Newsweeek magazine this last week. There was a time when I thought this sort of thing was just fantasy, but now it's starting to become a reality. Everyone is free to do what they want to do, but Christians are supposed to accept all sorts of lewdness and alternative lifestyles, and if they don't, they're labeled a bigot. When in reality, they are just standing up for the morals they believe in.

I'm not sure what our world is coming to sometimes, but the direction it's headed in doesn't seem to be the best. Why don't we all just take a moment, or a few, this Christmas to stop and think about what really matters in life. To remember WHO the reason for the season is - Jesus Christ. The Child who came from Heaven so that we could be made whole, connected to God, for eternity. All we have to do is accept the greatest Christmas present ever. Think about it...

Comments:
Well I finally got on here to see what this is all about. Will have to check it out more now that I have learned how :)
 
Post a Comment



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Copyright 2005 Jared Barden