Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Gamertag Linking Fun

For those of you who play XBOX Live (particularly Halo 2), this post might be of some interest. However, if you don't, disregard this post :)

When you sign up for an account on Bungie, you have to create an MSN Passport account. Fair enough. So you create your account, then you can log in to Bungie. After you log in, you can link your MSN Passport account to your XBOX Live gamertag, which is cool. This lets you view all of your stats., friends, etc. When you're logged in to Bungie. The system works pretty flawlessly.

The problem happens when you do something like I did. I cancelled my old Live account, because I really wasn't playing it anymore. A couple of weeks ago I decided to create a new account. I naturally wanted this new gamertag linked to my previous Passport. No can do. I couldn't find a way to do that at all. On Bungie's site, they pretty much tell you you're out of luck if you want to unlink a passport account and a gamertag.

After a lot of work and searching, I finally found a way to solve the problem. I had to delete my old Passport account, recreate the exact same account, and then link that new account to my Live gamertag. Seems like an awful lot of hassle to do something that should really be quite simple.

Such is life when you deal with Microsoft some times. I must admit, I'm not a Microsoft fan, but after using their products for a little over 3 months everyday, they do make some cool stuff. So kudos to them on that point.

Comments: Post a Comment



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Copyright 2005 Jared Barden